Saturday, November 21, 2009

Image du Jour


Edgar Rice Burroughs' The Chessmen of Mars is the fifth of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars novels, and one of my favourites. I own the edition with this phantasmagoric cover by Gino D'Achille. John Carter is not center stage in this book, which has to be the weirdest entry in the series; certainly ERB outdid himself with his descriptions of the titular "Chessmen" creatures. D'Achille's cover certainly made me shudder when my uncle gave me a copy for my 12th birthday. But I loved it just as the other ERB Mars novels, and it's still a fantastic read.

3 comments:

Sarah L. Covert said...

That is fascinating cover. Has D'Achille done anything else?

Sarah L. Covert said...

Never mind, I am learning through the power of google...

Henry Covert said...

I need to reseach his work more myself actually. I have another in the Mars series with a cover by him; the rest of mine have cover art by Michael Whelan (who I love).