Sunday, July 10, 2011

Image du Jour


This ends my week of (in my opinion) spectacular images culled from the Tarzan and Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I've tried to find unusual or rarely pics; I was even hesitant at first to include Frazetta's Mars covers, but they were just too awesome to leave out. My closing pic is the gorgeous original cover of A Princess of Mars, the classic first novel in the Mars series, featuring a cutlass-wielding John Carter protecting beloved Dejah Thoris. This one has special significance for me since, though I'd read it once, APOM was absent from our (my wife's and mine) library. That is, until we received a 1939 hardcover edition in excellent condition as an anniversary gift from our dear friend, Jeremy Duncan, who stood up for me as best man for our third wedding (of many more to come...). It was almost odd having a traditional best man, as, due to various factors, my first two "best men" were women - Cara Cirincione Mueller, a dear friend of mine since 1999; and Alanna Quinn, Sarah's housemate at the the time she moved 3000 miles to marry me, and her close friend since 2005.

But I digress: Jeremy's gift was wonderful; an indispensable addition to a recently christened shared library - and a shared life together. I bet John Carter and Dejah Thoris are still traversing the Barsoomian star system sharing their life together - a life fraught with deadly danger, battles to the death, bizarre creatures - and eternal romance.

1 comment:

Jeremy Duncan said...

Aw shucks. I was just happy to be able to make it, since I missed the original bash. Plus, I got to meet Sarah for the first time, along with the rest of your guests. I think we all hit it off pretty well, and I have fond memories of that evening.